Sunday, April 12, 2009

A bit of work from time to time

I suppose Id better provide an update on what Im doing at the IICP, lest you all start to see that all Im really doing on my three months off is using Kolkata as a base to immerse myself in the local high society and see the country in preparation for the vacation of a lifetime when Rita comes out to visit.
(The photos of these trips are so much better than the ones in this post though!).
The fundraising strategy bit
As a total novice at this, and I HATE asking anyone for money directly, I am indebted to those of you who have engaged in my “open source problem solving” and provided contacts, templates, ideas, documents and experience (You know who you are).
I now have the following
-a problem statement।
- A couple of very specific project ideas for approval ( website redesign/ enhanced sponsorship)
-a snazzy powerpoint presentation that summarises the above and a SWOT analysis of the IICP।
Im hoping that the governing body agree with my recommendations, so that I can spend the balance of my time actually trying to push the projects forward, and look at other areas which can be neatly summarised in a business plan which can be actioned, or filed depending on what they really think of it. The advantage of being an unpaid consultant is that no-one will feel the same requirement for action compared to if a huge fee had been paid.
I have been assured that ALL volunteers feel frustration that they are not making a difference, and in only three months I can barely understand the organisation and how it works; let alone effect change.(The exception here is Suzanne- the Australian- Indian teacher from Hong Kong who showed up and in two weeks had helped create a curriculum for teaching English, demonstrated it with the kids and ran a workshop for the teachers on the best ways of using it. I sat in on the last bit and sorted out computer glitches for her, but was seriously impressed by how she engaged on all levels and I believe she has left a significant improvement for the school. She used to say she was “just” a teacher until I convinced her otherwise).
Suzanne in action with children and teachers


Everyone is friendly and I'm starting to get used to the way of getting things done। The staff all have day jobs, so giving me time is a burden- especially when there isn't an obvious link between what I'm doing and how it might help. I have been such a pain in the ass to Kamal in the computer department that he has actually given me a way to get full time web access just so I leave him alone!

In my efforts to be at least a little bit useful I am also engaged in a project to create a performance appraisal system for the staff, (It may look suspiciously like something those of you in P&G are familiar with- no reason to reinvent the wheel), and a code of conduct or training manual. I have also proposed a number of changes to the IICP annual report- based on searching through those of other NGO's. ( They are basically all about trying to raise money). As time goes on, Rena Sen- my IICP contact -is realising that I can be unleashed on all sorts of stuff and so I'm sure Ill be picking your brains on other “work systems” very soon.
The one area where I make a direct difference is in hydrotherapy. The rule is one staff member for every child, so me giving two hours a week allows two more kids the chance to wallow in the pool- and I get a hot shower at the end as well. Once I got over the weirdness, it's actually pretty good fun. With the smaller kids I actually hold their heads above water and help with their exercises- the buoyancy provided by the water makes it easier for them to relax muscles. For the older kids I just sit in the corner and watch whilst they swim. I had a moment of confusion when one of the staff told me I couldn't wear my swimshorts ( bought specially on Rash Behari market, but too baggy), and I wasn't going to risk my speedos ( possibly a bit too tight for Indian cultural norms). I suspect they are turning a blind eye and bending the rules for me.
Leahy trying hard not to drownchildren



I'm learning all about advocacy and the digital social networking phenomenon that is facebook. If you are actually reading this then you're familiar with the concept of the blog....and I've had a variety of feedback about it ( The post of the man with his head up the elephant's bottom was most popular for some reason..- maybe you hoped it was me- and I've been asked to put in more pictures of Ambassador cars!). At the end of the day it's a letter, and saves me the hassle of putting “dear so and so” 70 times when I send it to you all. I used to run a website called “lettersfromjapan.com” way back when the internet was a baby- and this is MUCH easier to use.
Facebook is another beast entirely-and I've been very reticent about engaging until now. I don't have many friends, and don't want 50,000 that I've never met. However, as a tool to help link people associated with Cerebral palsy, (sufferers, carers, workers and researchers) whereby they can share experiences, contacts (and ultimately try and get sources of money) this could be pretty useful. Hence, I've started the IICP group, and am going to work with the lady who runs the “rights for people with disability” group- Ankur to see if we cannot make connections globally.
Ultimately, this may all wither on the vine...Im not totally convinced if it creates anything but work after the initial rush of enthusiasm, but the key learning for me has been as follows.
There is a huge and widening gap between organisations where everyone has web access and uses it to conduct their work and life (and its real easy to do so- so I will never again complain about our IT help desk in the Philippines) and those one step behind. The IICP has e mail and occasional web access, but the flow of information is largely verbal, and its success is down to the personal networks built up over many years by the people. If there are new sources of funds, then those who can reach out fastest and have the widest network are likely to find them first. Hence I believe the IICP needs to be on a par with the biggest Western charities to maintain their funding.
Den
Den is another part of my time here. He has a very interesting story in that he was born with a condition ( not CP) whereby he was paraylsed and non verbal, but with a totally normal mind. In fact the only way he could communicate was using software that he could control with his tongue (EZkeys- the same one sir Steven Hawking uses). He then lost the use of those muscles and had to teach himself to do it with his eyes. The very thought of being like this makes me shudder, but for him it was life and he has gone through secondary education and hopes to graduate soon. Four years ago, a cousin was born with a similar condition, but being in the US, it was diagnosed as being doparesponse dystonia- a genetic disorder where the body cannot produce dopamine. This condition had not even been discovered when Den was born, but now with the right drugs he is transformed and can speak and do many things normally.
Den works with computers, and has friends with similar skills and interests. His dream is to run his own company doing this sort of stuff, but he's strugglinge as he hasn't yet got work that allows him to go to the government to get a small business grant. Their disabilities make it tough to get work in small companies that are not set up for disabled access, but ultimately he can do things online, and so we are working together to try and put together a business plan that might push him forward with his dream.
The benefit for the IICP here is that it would be a great success story, and it would also provide a place other IICP computer graduates can get work, hence creating a virtuous circle. Of course if he gets rich, he'll also be a new donor for the IICP as well. (I can find an angle anywhere!).

No comments: